Sunday, July 13, 2014

When That Dream Falls Apart


- Christopher Hampton

The other day I went walking through the streets and I couldn’t help but notice all of the youth around me. By no means am I old, but I am referring to those who are not yet in their twenties. As I see them my mind goes back to the days when I was their age and the mysteries of life were just unraveling. Nothing was impossible in my mind and other minds alike. Well those times have gone and the world has had an impact on the things we once dreamed about.
 






I want to draw you attention to the poem written by Langston Hughes entitled “A Dream Deferred”.
 











What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun? Or fester like a sore--
And then run? Does it stink like rotten meat? Or crust and sugar over-- like a syrupy sweet
Maybe it just sags like a heavy load. Or does it explode?

 

Now you have to understand the life of Langston Hughes to understand the purpose behind his writings. He was a major catalyst in the Harlem renaissance that expanded the horizons of poetry not just to African Americans but to all races.  He grew up in a time of segregation and hate towards “the other races”. This was a migration of Negros from the south to the north, and a advancement in the arts and a realization of the African American condition. The era was a time of change but that change brought about hard times due to the great depression towards the end of the Harlem renaissance. One example is that Hughes dreamed of going to Columbia University to pursue a higher education and he succeeds but left do to racial discrimination. A dream that was started but soon thereafter fell apart.
 

A dream is whatever the dreamer wants it to be. Within a dream you can be whatever you want, when you want and how you want. There are no restrictions or doubts. If something is not to your liking then you can change it in a blink of an eye. But reality and dreams are in many ways exact opposites. Now some dreams become a reality and they flourish. But what do you do when they don’t. It is hard to wish for something and work for something for so long only to see it crumble to nothing. It is evident that dreams often fall victim to the chatter of the non-believers. Who are the non-believers? Well they are those people that don’t see the vision and the potential for greatness in your dreams.

But don’t let that stop you from reaching up. Now I will say that some dreams are irrational due to their nature and people should be able to tell when something is right and when something just won’t work. An example is growing up I wanted to be a legendary martial arts master with supernatural powers who saved the world. A child’s dream is just that, a child’s dream. No I’m talking about those dreams that show promise, that show change. To make a dream come true first of you have to have faith in that dream. Secondly you have to have the tenacity to work for it. Thirdly you have to want it!

 

But when the odds against you prevail you have to have the courage to stand on your own two feet and say I won’t be defeated and this won’t stop me. If there is one thing I have learned in life is that your dreams are just that…yours. Don’t let other people discourage you and tear you down because they can’t comprehend. Learn to speak victory over dreams and believe that it will come to past. I charge you to look at your life and ask yourself are you defined by what others say and think. Or do you walk down a path that you have forged for yourself? Prepare yourself for the criticism; prepare yourself for the ups and downs. Prepare yourself and know that there is a chance that this dream can fall apart but have the faith to say even if it does, I’ll pick up the pieces and go at it again. I’ll run on until my dream comes to fruition and nothing can hinder me from my destiny which I am molding with my own two hands. You are the artist so imagine it and then paint your portrait.

What happens to a
      Does
      like a raisin in
      Or fester like a sore— And th
      Does it stink l
      Or crust and sugar
      like a syru

      M
     

No comments:

Post a Comment