Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Learn to sheath your own sword: Mastering Self Discipline

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power." - Lao Tzu

      This quote speaks to many and I can truly say that it speaks to my present circumstances. Restraint is a foreign term in today's society in that people choose to refrain from restraint. Now some things you can get by with out restraining from them, but there are those things that you cant avoid. Restraint and or self discipline requires a person to realize what they have to do and take the proper action accordingly. There is story entitled "The King and His Hawk" that talks about restraint and anger. 

     It tells a story of Genghis Khan and his hawk. Well Genghis Khan wanted to drink from the spring so he found a cup and tried to fill it up with water. The thing is every time that he tried to drink from his cup, the hawk would knock the cup out of his hand. Now the bird did this a number of times so Genghis finally cut the bird down with his own sword. After this he climbed the brook and realized that where the water was trickling down from was a decent size pool of water. The thing about this pool was that within it was a dead poisonous snake, whose toxins were filling the water. So what Genghis learned was that his hawk was trying to save his life but in anger and without restraint, he had cut him down. 

Self Discipline is defined as training and control of oneself and one's CONDUCT, usually for personal improvement. Now I don't know how this may relate to your life but let me tell you how it relates to mine. My major issue that seems to never go away is doing what needs to be done. Lately graduate school is like a foreign concept. I truly want to go but the steps to get there is what is holding me back. The thought of dealing with rejection from the schools I dream of going to much like my undergraduate adventure to find a school makes it that much harder. Or the fact that I don't believe in my own ability to surpass the GMAT or any standardized exam. These are the flaws of myself that keep me from advancing my own life. The definition states control of oneself and ones conduct, usually for PERSONAL IMPROVEMENT. I am refraining from restraint. 

What do you mean? Well all I am saying is that i am not restraining those thoughts that say I cant even though I CAN BE GREAT. Like Genghis Khan, I am cutting down the very thing that is trying to help me and that is belief in myself. I  like the title suggest have to learn to sheath my own sword or my own negative thoughts in order to make myself great. I know that through faith I am able to do all things!!!!! I have to tell myself that I can make a difference and that I do matter. I have to have the self discipline to work on my future and to push forward even when the enemy is trying to trip me up. 

Now i don't know who may read this and I don't know what is going on in your life, but let me say this. never doubt yourself. Always keep the faith alive that YOU CAN MAKE IT. I know not all that may read this are of the christian faith but the bible says "Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect?." I know that I am God's elect and there is nothing that can stop me from full-filling my dreams. For it is self discipline and hard work that will get me and you to where we want to be

May Heaven Smile Upon You......







No comments:

Post a Comment